I am a grinder- more specifically a NYC grinder. What is a grinder? No, a grinder is not someone rubbing up uncomfortably against your leg during a top forty dance song in the meatpacking- well maybe in some circumstances. But, that's not what this blog is about. A grinder is someone who is pounding the bedraggled pavement feeling every pebble, blister, and broken heel en route to their nectarous success.

My story:

I was given life and a last name that sounds a little bit like an ancient greek disease. This four syllable cognomen holds the truth behind my thirst for the arts. There is a tiny island in Greece which bares my family's name. At the center of the island is a castle that was once graced by my bloodline. Janetakis Tower, the tower of the famous family (my family) of the Gregorakedes, is in the middle of the islet ( It houses the Historical and Ethnological museum of Mani). According to Homer's writings it is the tower where beautiful Helen of Sparta spent her first romantic night together with Paris of Troy. My great grandfather decided to donate our house of lineage and travel to the mouth of the Hudson River, to well- become a grinder.

So here I am, pursuing my dreams of music and film on an island much different from that of castle's and folklore.

4.02.2010

NYC GRINDER:MICHAEL STAFFIERI

1 comment: